Thursday, September 1, 2011

Dollar Tree and More Oh My!

We made it through the second week of school! 


This week we had the opportunity to go on field work to the Dollar Tree where your child picked out something of their choice without any influence from parents. With this activity we talked about being a consumer, making choices, and also deciding if what we bought was a need or a want. 


Here are some of the reasons your kiddos decided to buy what they did...

"I bought the mermaids because it’s the only thing I wanted and me and my sister can play with them." 


"I bought the fishing pole and the fish because I was going to die if I didn’t get one." 


"I bought a Milky Way because my mom tells me to get stuff that gets me outside and not be lazy." 


"I bought the silly string because I though of something I could do with it." 


In addition to going to the dollar tree, we learned about making choices when having an "income" and having to buy needs and wants. We also talked about "scarcity" of income can also affect what you buy. 


Please share with your child about how you make decisions about buying items, whether they are needs and wants. How do you decide? 


Please review these key vocabulary words with your child: producer, distributor, consumer, goods and services, wants and needs. 


Next week, we are headed to the Beehive Cheese Factory to learn about the process of producing cheese and how cheese is packaged to attract customers. We will also go to WalMart to look at the way cereal, cheese and vegetables are sold. This will help prepare us for our Celebration!

No comments:

Post a Comment